2nd Repeat 2023 Public Call for Early-Stage Researcher Candidates
Pursuant to the Scientific Research and Innovation Activities Act (Official Gazette of the Republic of Slovenia, No. 186/21), the Employment Relationship Act (Official Gazette of the Republic of Slovenia, No. 21/13, amended and complemented to 141/2022), Articles 7 and 24 of the Rules on the Eligibility of Funding of Early-Stage Researchers and Procedures for Selecting Supervisors and Early-Stage Researchers No. 012/2022/3 (UM announcements, No. XL-6-2022) as well as Article 31 of the General Act on the Stable Financing of Scientific Research Activities (Official Gazette of the Republic of Slovenia No. 87/2022), the University of Maribor hereby publishes the 2nd Repeat 2023 Public Call1of the University of Maribor for Early-Stage Researcher Candidates
The purpose of the 2nd Repeat 2023 Public Call for Early-Stage Researcher Candidates (hereinafter: public call) is to select early-stage researcher candidates for participation in research work during doctoral studies until obtaining a doctorate in science at the University of Maribor based on a fixed-term employment contract.
Candidates who are not yet enrolled in doctoral programmes have to apply separately to the Call for Enrolment in Postgraduate Study Programmes at the University of Maribor in the Academic Year 2023/2024. The enrolment in doctoral studies has to be performed through the eVŠ portal.
The candidates are to send a scan of the signed application form with enclosures in .pdf format to the following e-mail address: email@example.com up to and including 14 August 2023. In doing so, the candidates must use the e-mail address, at which they can be reached in the time of notification of results. Applications to the Public Call sent to the e-mail address firstname.lastname@example.org up to and including 14 August 2023 will be deemed to have been received in good time.
Selection criteria for early-stage researchers
Early-stage researchers may be candidates who:
(1) in the academic year in which they will be employed as early-stage researchers, will be enrolled in the first or second year of a doctoral study programme at the University of Maribor and shall automatically advance in this programme or another adequate programme in accordance with Article 12 of the Rules on the Eligibility of Funding of Early-Stage Researchers and Procedures for Selecting Supervisors and Early-Stage Researchers No. 012/2022/3;
(2) have not yet concluded their doctoral studies or have not yet obtained the title Doctor of Science;
(3) have not yet been employed as early-stage researchers.
(4) Since the year of concluding the second-cycle study programme or education which corresponds to the level of education obtained under the second-cycle study programmes and is, in accordance with the law regulating the Slovene qualifications framework, ranked to level 8 or a comparable study programme of an appropriate field obtained abroad, until the year of commencing employment it has not been more than 4 years. The period from the fourth indent of Point 3 of the Public Call may be extended for early-stage researcher candidates due to parental leave, namely for the period of justified absence, due to other forms of justified absence laid down in the health insurance regulations, however, only if the absence is continuous, longer than six months and maximally for the period of documented justified absence.
(5) At the latest upon signing the employment contract, the candidates must have the lawful academic or scientific title Assistant at the relevant UM faculty which is the parent one for the candidates’ research field.
(5.1) Academic title
In accordance with Article 8 of the Criteria for the Appointment to Titles of Higher Education Teachers and Associates, the candidates must fulfil fundamental and specific conditions for title appointment which the candidates have to demonstrate and justify in the application to be considered by the relevant university bodies.
As set out in Article 26 of the Criteria, the academic title Assistant can be obtained by candidates who fulfil the fundamental criteria for appointment, have at least a second-cycle or equivalent cycle degree as well as comply with the following special conditions:
- have finished studies with a grade average of at least very good (8), whereby in the calculation of the average, grades of all passed exams, practical courses and other graded study obligations are taken into account;
- for their final work, if it is a condition for finishing studies, they have reached at least the grade very good (8).
For some habilitation fields, besides the minimum criteria set out in the Criteria, stricter criteria are also adopted that must be fulfilled as well. Stricter criteria are accessible at https://www.um.si/o-univerzi/dokumentno-sredisce/habilitacije/zahtevnejsi-kriteriji/.
(5.2) Scientific title
For the appointment of the scientific title Assistant, conditions must be fulfilled which derive from the Rules on Research Titles.
In accordance with Article 5, conditions are determined with qualitative and quantitative indicators. As stated in Article 6 of the Rules on Research Titles, for the appointment of the scientific title Assistant, candidates must meet the following minimum qualitative indicators: o education obtained under the second-cycle study programme or education which corresponds to the level of education obtained under second-cycle study programmes and is, in accordance with the law regulating the Slovene qualifications framework, ranked to level 8, o capability of research work.
(6) Candidates must also meet other requirements that are determined for the available post and published in the attached Information on the Available Posts with Descriptions of Trainings with the Particular Supervisor (Attachments 2.0–2.1) which are part of these public call documents.
(7) Applications to this Call are also possible by candidates who did not yet complete their studies under the second-cycle study programme of an appropriate field or education which corresponds to the level of education obtained under the second-cycle study programme and is, in accordance with the law regulating the Slovene qualifications framework, ranked to level 8 or a comparable study programme of an appropriate field abroad.
Early-stage researcher candidate assessment and selection criteria are:
- enrolment in a third-cycle programme;
- received awards or recognitions;
- published scientific papers;
- contribution to research work;
- evaluation of candidate’s interview.
The application must contain the Early-Stage Researcher Candidate’s Application Form (Attachment 1), which has to be completed and signed, with enclosed compulsory means of proof or their electronic copies made with a scanner. Candidates may submit non-compulsory means of proof at their own discretion. The application shall be complete if a candidate will submit the application form with all compulsory enclosures and the non-compulsory enclosures indicated in the application form.
More detailed information is available in the documents of the 2nd Repeat 2023 Public Call of the University of Maribor for Early-Stage Researcher Candidates.
The Call documentation includes: − The 2nd Repeat 2023 Public Call of the University of Maribor for Early-Stage Researcher Candidates with Attachments:
- Attachment 1: Application Form.
- Attachments 2.0-2.1: Information on the Available Posts with Descriptions of Trainings with the Particular Supervisor.
- Attachment 3: Evaluation Sheet of the Early-Stage Researcher Candidate with Attachments: Record of the early-stage researcher candidate’s interview and Written elaboration of the selection or rejection of the early-stage researcher candidates.
- Attachment 4: Instructions to Candidates on How to Apply to the 2nd Repeat 2023 Public Call of the University of Maribor for Early-Stage Researcher Candidates.
Publication date: 14 July 2023
1 Training of early-stage researchers is enabled by the Slovenian Research and Innovation Agency with funding according to the Contract on the Stable Financing of Scientific Research Activities for the contractual period 2022–2027, No. SZRD/22-27/552.
2 Terms in this Public Call refer to subjects in masculine form. It shall be understood that the masculine gender is used as a neutral form for both feminine and masculine subjects.