In scientific research and art, the University of Maribor will pursue the following strategic goals, in accordance with the Development Strategy of the University of Maribor 2021-2030:
- Sustainable, socially responsible, and high-quality development of sciences and arts, research fields and subfields that the University is developing, while considering the smart specialization principles, emphasising tackling societal challenges.
- Achievement of scientific and artistic excellence in all activity fields of University’s research and artistic groups, complying with Leiden manifesto's principles.
- Establishment of the University’s Technology Innovation Centre to enable efficient central infrastructural support to scientific research and innovation processes and the technological transfer of knowledge to the environment.
- The pursuit of stable systemic financing of the University's research and artistic work and establishing comparable conditions for a high-quality research environment will allow a balanced development of all university members.
- Strengthening creative interdisciplinary research teams in key research focus areas.
- Implementation of open access to scientific documents, data, and research results and public research infrastructure.
The university's principle is the commitment to excellence in research and international comparability in wider research space.
The University of Maribor is the first Slovene university to be awarded the
"HR Excellence in Research" badge and is obliged to respect the
European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers.