Horizon 2020 is a core part of Europe 2020, Innovation Union & European Research Area. Horizon 2020 is a means of responding to the economic crisis to invest in future jobs and growth, addressing people’s concerns about their livelihoods, safety and environment as well as strengthening the EU’s global position in research, innovation and technology.
- Excellent Science (European Research Council, Future and Emerging Technologies, Marie Skłodowska-Curie actions, European Research Infrastructures)
- Industrial Leadership (Leadership in Enabling and Industrial Technologies, Access to risk finance, Innovation in SMEs
- Societal Challenges (Health, Demographic Change and Wellbeing; Food Security, Sustainable Agriculture and Forestry, Marine, Maritime and Inland Water Research and the Bioeconomy; Secure, Clean and Efficient Energy; Smart, Green and Integrated Transport; Climate Action, Environment, Resource Efficiency and Raw Materials; Europe in a changing world - Inclusive, innovative and reflective societies)
Budget: €80 billion
Additional information: Horizon 2020
Erasmus+ brings together seven existing EU programmes in the fields of Education, Training, and Youth; it will for the first time provide support for Sport. The Erasmus+ programme aims to boost skills and employability, as well as modernising Education, Training, and Youth work.
Budget: €14.7 billion
Additional information: Erasmus+
Cohesion Policy 2014-2020
Main goals of cohesion policy in the period 2014-2020:
- investing in growth and jobs
- European territorial cooperation
In order to achieve these two goals, financial resources from the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF), European Social Fund (ESF) and the Cohesion Fund will be provided.
Budget: €336 billion. For Slovenia: €3.2 billion, of which €1.27 billion will be allocated to Eastern Slovenia, 873 million to Western Slovenia, and €1.06 billion to projects in the field of transport and environmental infrastructure and sustainable use of energy.
Additional information: Cohesion Policy 2014-2020
European Territorial Cooperation
Cross-border Cooperation Programmes (Slovenia-Croatia, Slovenia-Austria, Slovenia-Hungary, Slovenia-Italy). Budget: €5.6 billion
Transnational Cooperation Programmes - Interreg (Alpine Space, Central Europe, Programme ADRION, Danube Transnational Programme, MED Programme). Budget: €1.8 billion.
Interregional Cooperation Programmes (INTERREG IVC, INTERACT II, ESPON, URBACT). Possibilities of project applications on the part of universities are limited. Budget: €445 million.
UM's participation in international and EU projects
Ongoing UM projects - January 2019