On December 4th, 2012, the University of Maribor applied for institutional re-accreditation to the National Agency of the RS for Quality in Higher Education (Slov. abbr. NAKVIS) as a ground for the performance of its activity, and therefore it is of utmost importance for the whole University of Maribor.
External evaluation is a procedure of a holistic assessment of the functioning of a higher education institution. In the framework of external evaluation, the following fields were assessed:
- Inclusion in the environment;
- Functioning of the higher education institution;
- material conditions (space, equipment, library system, and financing);
- providing for orientation towards quality, innovation, and development.
An obligatory part of this procedure was also an evaluation visit. The Council of NAKVIS has nominated a groups of experts for the preparation of a common evaluation report on the fulfillment of conditions for the prolongation of the accreditation of University of Maribor, consisting of:
- Prof. Dr. Mirko Soković, University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, president,
- Prof. Dr. Dušan Krnel, University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Education, member,
- Prof. Dr. Hans Robert Hansen, Institute for Business Administration and Information Systems, Vienna University of Economics and Business Administration, member,
- Prof. Dr. Blanca Palmada, University of Girona, Department for Language and Communication, member,
- dr. Terence Alfred Clifford-Amos, visiting scholar to the Université Catholique de Lille, member
- Jelena Štrbac Nemec, Student organization of Slovenia, member,
- Ana Pleško, student, member,
- Taja Železnik, student, member.
group of experts visited the University of Maribor in the framework of the external
evaluation between May 29th and 31st, 2013. The visit started and ended
with conversations at the rector’s office, in the time in-between the experts
visited the members selected in advance. In the framework of the visit, they talked
to the leaderships, members of bodies and committees, all kinds of staff and
students both on the university and the member level, they took a look at the
space and equipment and various documents.
procedure ended with the decision of the Council of the agency on the
prolongation of the accreditation, based on the assessment of the completed
application, the report by the group of experts and the comments of the
applicant to the report. For the Council of the agency, it is essential to
obtain an impartial, unique, and clear professional opinion on the fulfillment of
criteria within the individual fields of assessment determined in the
accreditation criteria from the group of experts. At establishing the status,
the Council of the agency acts in line with the principle of the free judgement of
proof delivered by the group of experts.