Technological renovation: increasing throughput of network connections
In January 2021, the Computer Centre of the University of Maribor (UM) has implemented, together with Arnes experts, the final upgrade of the network connections to Arnes node in Maribor, thus increasing their throughput from 2 x 10 Gbps to 2 x 100 Gbps. The University of Maribor's network now operates on a network throughput technology of at least 100 Gbps.
In 2020, the following major activities were performed on computer and network infrastructure under RCUM management:
- establishment of new fiber-optic connections to Arnes node in Maribor,
- renovation of UM core network, including firewall and replacement of load balancers,
- consolidation and upgrade (99+%) of Windows servers to the latest available versions,
- renovation of edge transport servers,
- upgrade of the central database management system,
- setup of MySQL server cluster (test, production environment),
- upgrade of Moodle to a new version and setup of a new database management system,
- establishment of a new ADFS farm and upgrade to the latest available version,
- update of the following tools to their latest versions: server hypervisor, firewall manager, tool for monitoring, tool for making and restoring backup copies, identity management system,
- establishment of a SIEM tool,
- renovation of the AD Connect servers,
- software upgrade of all wireless access points throughout the UM,
- switch-off of TLS v1.0 and v1.1 on production web servers,
- enhancement of ADFS environment with an additional WAP security level,
- introduction of Speedtest server for location “University of Maribor",
- redirection of fov.uni-mb.si e-mail flow to the central mail servers of the University,
- implementation of URL shortener url.um.si,
- an increase of the size limit of the received messages to 30 MB,
- and many other.
In 2020, on the day of the transition to remote teaching and working from home (16 March 2020), the University of Maribor did not face any infrastructural issues (such as accessibility and availability), as the key network infrastructure had been adequately updated through the HPC RIVR project in 2019. It is also worth noting that the University of Maribor had already fully integrated Microsoft Teams application as far back as in April 2018.
New developments in basic infrastructure are under way also in 2021 (e.g., e-mail system upgrade) and we will keep you informed.