Meeting of the Association of Higher Education Institutions (3rd of July, 1975)
The beginnings of higher education in Maribor date back to the 19th century, when in 1859 bishop Anton Martin Slomšek moved the seat of the Lavantine diocese from St. Andraž in Lavantal (Austrian Carinthia) to Maribor and soon afterwards established a Slovenian seminary. That gave Maribor its first institution of higher education, which became an important focal point of Slovenian religious, national, cultural and scientific thought in the Slovenian Štajerska region. Important years were also 1863, when the two-year teacher-training school was established, and 1888, when it became a four-year school.
The immediate forerunner of the present-day University of Maribor is the Association of Higher Education Institutions in Maribor, which was established in the period between 1959 and 1961. The oldest among them was the School of Economics and Commerce, followed by the Technical College with departments of mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, textile technology, civil engineering and chemistry. In 1960 the College of Agriculture, College of Law and School of Dentistry were established; the latter was closed in 1970. During that period the College of Organizational Studies was also established in Kranj, and in 1972 it became a member of the Association of Higher Education Institutions in Maribor. With six institutions of higher education Maribor became an important academic center, and in 1975 the University of Maribor was created.
The establishment of the University of Maribor and the expansion of research activities fostered the development of two-year colleges, which gradually became four-year colleges and finally faculties. The College of Nursing Studies was established in 1993, and two years later it also became a member of the University of Maribor. That same year the former Technical College was transformed into four new faculties. At the turn of the century the University of Maribor therefore consisted of 9 faculties and one university college. The following year it was joined by the University Library, which also became a member of the university.
At the turn of the millennium the University of Maribor was joined by another three new faculties: in 2003 a new Faculty of Medicine was established (the first students were enrolled in the academic year 2004/2005), and the previously established Faculty of Criminal Justice and Security, based in Ljubljana, joined the University of Maribor, while the newly established Faculty of Logistics, based in Celje, opened its doors to the first students in the academic year 2005/2006.
In the academic year 2006/2007 the University of Maribor gained two new members. The former Faculty of Education split to form three new faculties: the Faculty of Education, the Faculty of Arts and Faculty of Natural Sciences and Mathematics.
The youngest members of the University of Maribor are the Faculty of Energy Technology, established in Krško in 2007 and the Faculty of Tourisms, based in Brežice, which opened its doors to the first students in the academic year 2012/2013.