Public Call for Applications for Co-Funding of Doctoral Study Programmes for Students of the University of Maribor – Generation 2017
1. SUBJECT OF THE PUBLIC CALL
The subject of the public call is selection of candidates for co-founding of doctoral study for doctoral students of the University of Maribor – generation 2017.
2. CONDITIONS FOR CO-FUNDING OF DOCTORAL STUDY
The doctoral student, selected with this call for application, will receive founds for the tuition for the study year he/she is enrolled into in academic year 2017/2018.
Parallel study is not co-founded.
3. CANDIDACY CONDITIONS FOR THE PUBLIC CALL AND APPLICATION CONTENT AND PREPARATION
3. 1 CANDIDACY CONDITIONS FOR APPLICANTS
Co-founding is approved for the applicant who meets the following conditions:
- is enrolled into 1st, 2nd or 3rd year of the doctoral study in academic year 2017/2018 and advanced on a regular basis into higher study year;
- did not obtain the qualification level that meets the educational level, obtained after 3rd cycle doctoral study programmes;
- does not have or never had a co-founded study for study programmes leading to doctor of science title from public founds, regardless the institution or if the doctoral study was completed;
- has a chosen mentor and
- collected at least 24 points after set criteria for evaluating doctoral students' adequacy.
The concept of the doctoral thesis serves as proof for a chosen mentor, verified by the mentor or co-mentor. The proof for a chosen mentor can also be the date and number of the rector's decision on verified doctoral thesis theme. The decision on verified doctoral thesis theme is needed by students who will enter the founding scheme in higher study years namely, if the verified doctoral thesis theme is one of the conditions for advancement into higher year at the study programme they are enrolled into.
The mentor or foreseen mentor has to meet requirements for a mentor, in accordance with university's internal acts. Higher education teachers can act as a mentor to a maximum of 5 students (considered are students that have already a verified doctoral thesis theme and applicants for this public call).
3. 2 APPLICATION CONTENT AND PREPARATION
In the framework of this public call, the applicant can file the application for co-founding of the doctoral study for the total tuition cost, but no more than 4.000,00 EUR per study year.
To be eligible for co-founding on this public call, the applicant must submit a full application, including the following filled out and signed forms:
- Application for the public call form with mandatory supplements:
- The certificate on average grade of completed study must be submitted by applicants that did not obtain their previous education at the UM (old academic undergraduate study, Master's or uniform Master's 2nd cycle study programmes;
- supplement 1: the doctoral thesis concept, verified with the mentor's or foreseen mentor's signature or date and number of the rector's decision on verified doctoral thesis theme.
References, stated in the application for the public call that the applicant wants to enforce, can be considered only with the following documentation:
- Certificate on achieved awards.
- Certificate on original scientific articles (1.01, 1.02, 1.03), scientific monograph (2.01), patent or independent scientific contribution or chapter in a monograph (1.16), or research or documentary film, sound or video publication (2.18), with added authorship information, if the publication is not entered into COBISS system.
- Certificate of a person in charge or institute (dean or institute's person in charge-head of the institute) on collaboration at research work, with a stated research project's/programme's title, period of collaboration (from-to), head of the research work and work content, carried out by the applicant in the frames of research work, so far.
The concept of the doctoral thesis must include all required elements and must not exceed the prescribed length.
The application must meet the requirements of the public call subject.
4. CANDIDATE EVALUATION CRITERIA AND MANNER OF SELECTION
4. 1 APPLICATION EVALUATION CRITERIA
of PhD candidate:
Grade average of
completed university undergraduate programme (old study programme), or
Master’s or 2nd cycle single Master’s study programme. The score
is calculated by multiplying the grade average (rounded to two decimal
points) by 3 (e.g. 8.32 x 3).
candidate is already enrolled in a senior year of a 3rd cycle
candidate received a UM university award ()
or other comparable acknowledgement of his alma mater.
candidate published an original scientific article (1.01, 1.02, 1.03
according to COBISS – Slovenian Co-operative Online Bibliographic System
& Services), scientific monograph (2.01), independent scientific
contribution or chapter in a monograph (1.16), or research or documentary
film, sound or video publication (2.18). The candidate is awarded 3 points
for each publication referred to herein (for authorship or co-authorship).
candidate participates or has participated in research work at a university
member, institute, etc.()
certificate should be issued by the responsible
person of the faculty or institute (dean or responsible person of the
institute – Chair; certificates signed only by the project head will not be
considered in the evaluation). The certificate should entail:
- Title of research project/programme;
- Period of participation in research project (from – until);
- Research lead/head; and
- Description and subject matter of research the candidate
performed/is performing as part of his research
projects are as follows: SRA projects, bilateral projects, targeted research
programmes and research & development projects, multi-month visits to
foreign research institutes or university, etc.
in professional projects (e.g. Creative
Path to Knowledge, etc.) is not eligible and will not be observed in the
The number of gained points under section 1.5 depends on the evaluation commission.
The maximum score available is 40 points. The candidate needs to score a minimum of 24 points to be eligible.
4. 2 EVALUATION PROCEDURE AND APPLICATION SELECTION MANNER
The selection procedure of candidates will be held by a special commission, consisting of higher education teachers, constituted by the rector of the University of Maribor decision. The commission determines, whether the applicant fulfills the conditions for candidacy, evaluates the applications that meet the conditions according to point 4. 1 of this call.
The commission rejects without the right to supplement the application without the doctoral thesis concept or content parts of the doctoral thesis concept from supplement 1.
Eligible for co-founding are applications of total 24 points or more.
For applications of 24 points or more it will be checked that a mentor or foreseen mentor does not exceed 5 students.
In case a mentor has more than 5 candidates (together with applicants), the commission ranks candidates upon acquired points, after additional criteria for evaluation of applications with same points, set in the next paragraphs.
In case there will be more candidates with 24 points or more than there are founds for co-founding, the commission will select applicants in order of acquired points, until all founds are used.
Applications with the same number of points will be ranked by the number of points, collected according to the criteria, stated under 1. 4 of the application evaluation criteria and after, according to the grade, acquired after criteria 1. 1. When all stated options are used and the applications still cannot be ranked, a drawing will decide the order of ties.
In case the selected applicant withdraws from the application on paper, or does not sign the education contract annex with the faculty in charge of the doctoral study programme within a set time frame, it is considered that he withdrew the co-founding application. His place is taken by the next ranked application, according to gained points and available founds. Places are also emptied and filled as stated also in the case when due to additional checking it is established that the applicant receives founds or received founds for co-founding doctoral study programmes from public founds in previous years.
5. AMOUNT OF FUNDS
The amount of founds in this public call is 528.924,00 EUR.
6. ELIGIBLE COSTS AND EXPENSES
Grounds for the tuition calculation is the price list of the University of Maribor, approved by the Management Board of the University of Maribor, published at http://www.um.si/studij/financiranje/Strani/default.aspx
Double founding is not allowed. Co-founded can be tuitions that are not or will not be refounded from other sources or will not be (co)-founded from public calls of the Slovenian Research Agency or other European public financial founds of state or local budget.
The eligible cost for selected applicants will be transferred to the bank account of the University of Maribor member, in charge of the doctoral study programme.
7. PROTECTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Personal information of applicants are collected for the purpose of the public call application. Protection of personal information will be assured according to valid legislation. Persons included in the opening and evaluating of applications will sign a confidentiality agreement beforehand.
8. METHOD OF APPLICATION AND DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION OF APPLICATIONS
Applicants must submit their application regardless of the shipment's transfer type, starting from the announcement of the public call and no later than November 3rd 2017, 12 PM at the dispatch office of the University of Maribor, Slomškov trg 15, 2000 Maribor.
Applicants must submit the application in a sealed envelope with a note »DO NOT OPEN – APPLICATION TO THE PUBLIC CALL FOR CO-FOUNDING OF DOCTORAL STUDY PROGRAMMES OF STUDENTS OF THE UNIVERSITY OF MARIBOR – GENERATION 2017« with a complete applicant's address.
Regarded will be applications that arrive at the university dispatch office in time, that is until the stated deadline, regardless the shipment's transfer type. If the application does not arrive in time, is incorrectly marked or does not include documents, stated in point 3. 2 of this public call, it will be discard with a decision.
9. OPENING OF APPLICATIONS
A commission will open the applications. It will be appointed for the course of the whole procedure of candidates selection by the rectory of the University of Maribor with a decision. Due to expected large number of applications, the opening will not be public. The opening will take place at the university, the latest 5 business days after the deadline for submission of applications.
In case an application is not complete, it will be discard with a decision.
10. NOTIFICATIONS ABOUT SELECTION
Candidates will be notified about results with a decision.
Along with the selection decision, the candidates will be invited to sign the annex to the doctoral study contract, entered with the faculty in charge of the doctoral study programme. In case the selected applicant does not reply within 8 days after receiving the summons, it is regarded that he withdrew.
Potential appeals on the decision from the previous paragraph of the public call can be submitted by the applicant at the university within 8 days after receiving the decision. The appeal is decided by the rector of the University of Maribor with a decision within 15 days. A submitted appeal does not withhold the signing of contracts with selected applicants. The appeal must include a precise written explanation of reasons, why the appeal is submitted. Appeal conditions can not include applicant's application conditions and set criteria for evaluation of applications. After receiving the appeal, the University of Maribor checks, if all formal conditions are met – was the application submitted in time, was it submitted by an entitled person and if it is permitted. If any of the formal conditions is not met, it is discarded with a decision.
12. PUBLIC CALL DOCUMENTATION
The application form and required documentation are available at: call for application.
Maribor, 25. 10. 2017 prof. dr. Igor Tičar,
rector of the University of Maribor
Public call's supplements:
- Form: Application to the public call,
- Supplement 1: the doctoral thesis concept,
- Guidelines for application